Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Harvest Creamy Corn Chowder

Break out the crusty sourdough, because I have the perfect soup to eat it with. Here's another barn-burner. It's spicy, a little creamy, and chock full of vegetables. I can definitely recommend this one.

Corn
chowder is one of those soups that I know I should like in theory, since I like corn and I like chowder. But it just never inspires a whole lot of excitement. It's a bit like oatmeal. I know it's good, but why would I order it in a restaurant?

Well this soup puts regular corn chowder in the corner with a dunce cap on. Okay maybe that's a little harsh; I wouldn't want to offend any corn chowder fanatics out there. But this one is anything but boring, and I will definitely be making it again. Remind me of that the next time I have a cold, as this soup is comforting in all the best ways. You can easily make it vegetarian by leaving out the bacon.

Harvest
Creamy Corn Chowder
Adapted from Everyday with Rachael Ray
serves 4

INGREDIENTS:













1 tablespoon EVOO
2 slices of bacon, chopped
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
3/4 pound fingerling potatoes, sliced into small chunks
3/4 cup sweet corn kernels, fresh or frozen (about 2 to 3 ears worth)
1 small zucchini, finely chopped
3 sprigs thyme
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon flour
1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken or veggie broth
3/4 cup skim milk
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a medium soup pot or Dutch oven, heat the EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook until slightly crispy.

2. Add onion and bell pepper and cook until softened, about 4-5 minutes.

3. Add potatoes, corn, zucchini, thyme, bay leaf and paprika and cook an additional 4 minutes. Sprinkle the flour into the pot, stir and cook for 1 minute.

4. Gradually stir in the broth and simmer until slightly thickened. Add milk, cream and parsley, stir and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.

5. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and stir in hot pepper sauce. Serve.

Now if that doesn't make you feel comforted, I don't know what to tell you. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment