Monday, July 20, 2009

Eggplant Roll-Ups


I don't eat eggplant very often. I have sort of a texture issue with it. But when I cook it myself, I tend to err on the side of under-cooking, and then I actually like it. Who knew - that mushiness is actually avoidable!

I got an eggplant in my last CSA bag, so I decided to try out a recipe I've had for a while and always wondered about. I lightened it up considerably, and the result is a fresh and simple dish that makes the most of quality summer produce.

If you're not a fan of ricotta cheese, you could try substituting mozzarella or some other type of cheese for the filling. But if you are a fan, I recommend sticking with the ricotta filling as it is heavenly and light. This is eggplant parmigiana's slimmer younger sister. Give her a try.

Eggplant Roll-Ups
adapted from Everyday with Rachael Ray
serves 3

INGREDIENTS:

1 medium eggplant, cut lengthwise into 1/4" slices
salt and pepper
2 large eggs
handful fresh basil leaves, chopped
1 cup bread crumbs
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup part skim ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons parmesan
2 medium or 1 large tomato, diced

DIRECTIONS:

1. Season eggplant slices with salt and pepper. In a wide, shallow bowl, whisk the eggs. Pour bread crumbs and about half the basil onto a large plate. Coat each slice of eggplant in egg, and then in the bread crumb-basil mixture.

2. Preheat oven to 350. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon EVOO over medium-high heat. Working in batches, cook eggplant until golden, 2 minutes on each side, using remaining tablespoon EVOO for second batch. Transfer eggplant to a paper-towel lined plate.

3. In a small bowl, combine ricotta and parmesan with remaining basil. Season with salt and pepper.

4. Assemble the roll-ups - put 1 to 2 tablespoons of ricotta mixture onto each eggplant slice and roll it up the best you can (if it's a bit too short, just fold it in half). Tuck the roll-ups together into a baking dish and bake until tender, about 10 minutes. Top with diced tomato and serve.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds very interesting - will try it, using the substitute mozzarella you suggest. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete