Thursday, November 19, 2009

Berry French Toast Bake (CEIMB)


This week's Craving Ellie in my Belly recipe was for Peach French Toast Bake, which sounded lovely.  The recipe uses frozen fruit, so you actually get to enjoy out-of-season fruit on your French toast.  I opted to go for berries, since it's what I happened to have in the freezer.  I also made a few other adaptations to the recipe, including shrinking it down to a single (or double, if you're not that hungry) portion.

The results were good, but I don't know if I'm convinced that I want to switch from my normal French toast method.  The overnight soaking didn't produce anything magical.  But the flavors were nice, and it was somewhat more elegant than your typical French toast.   All in all, a success.

Berry French Toast Bake (CEIMB)
adapted from Ellie Krieger's The Food You Crave
serves 1-2

INGREDIENTS:

cooking spray
2 slices whole wheat bread
1 egg
1/4 cup nonfat milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
1/2 cup mixed frozen berries
2 tablespoons brown sugar

DIRECTIONS:

1.  Coat a small baking dish with cooking spray.  Lay the bread slices in the pan.

2.  Whisk egg, milk, and vanilla together in a bowl.  Pour the mixture over the bread slices.  Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg.  Scatter the berries over the bread, and sprinkle the top with brown sugar.  Top with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

3.  In the morning, preheat the oven to 350.  Bake for about 30 minutes, or until browned and puffed up.  Serve.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I agree that letting it sit overnight didn't do anything special for the dish. The berries were a good idea - sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you used blue berries.

    This one wasn't one of my favorites

    ReplyDelete