I changed the frosting to a different one I found on Tasty Kitchen because the original recipe called for a cream cheese frosting, and my mother is not a fan. Instead, I made a Mocha Nutella frosting that was out of this world. The combination of the moist mocha cake and the sweet nutty frosting was absolutely fantastic.
This one is a crowd pleaser, for sure. It's tasty, it's pretty, and it's different than your typical chocolate cake. Make it for your next family gathering!
Mocha Cake with Mocha Nutella Frosting
adapted from The Food You Crave and Tasty Kitchen
makes one 9 x 13 cake
for the cake:
1 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 large eggs
2 large egg whites
1 1/2 cups plain lowfat yogurt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon instant coffee, dissolved in 1 tablespoon hot water
2 ounces good quality dark chocolate (60-70% cocoa)
for the frosting:
1 tablespoon nonfat milk, plus more for texture
1 teaspoon instant coffee
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 tablespoons Nutella (chocolate hazelnut spread)
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Spray a 9 x 13 baking pan with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, and baking powder in a medium bowl. Set aside.
3. Whisk together melted butter, canola oil, eggs, and egg whites until well combined. Fold in the yogurt, vanilla, granulataed sugar, and dissolved instant coffee. Mel the chocolate in a small microwave-safe bowl in the microve for 90 seconds on high (careful not to burn it!) and stir it into the batter.
4. Gradually add dry ingredients to the wet, and stir until just incorporated - do not overbeat. Pour into prepared pan. Bake until cake has risen nicely and a toothpick comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool completely on a rack.
5. Make the frosting: dissolve the instant coffee in a tablespoon of milk and set aside. Beat the butter, Nutella, powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla in a bowl with a handheld electric mixer on high. Add the dissolved coffee and milk and beat well. Add additional milk as needed to achieve a smooth frosting consistency. Frost the cake when it has cooled completely.
6. As a nice added touch, grate a little chocolate on the top for decoration. Cut into squares and serve.