Friday, December 19, 2008

Best. Cookies. Ever.



I promise not everything that I make has pumpkin in it. But after the pasta the other night, I had 2/3 a can of pumpkin puree just waiting to be used. Just look at it, doesn't it look sad?



So I decided to make my world-famous (that's right, I said world-famous) pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. I can't really claim credit for this recipe, as I found it online once upon a time, and only made some very minor changes to it. But I've made these cookies about a million times, and they are always a hit. I decided to whip up a batch to take with us to see the in-laws. We'll see how many cookies are left by the time we get off the plane in Chicago - I guess it depends how long we are delayed by the weather...


A side note - I always use white whole wheat flour in my baking. If you prefer regular all-purpose flour, that will work too. I like to convince myself my cookies are "healthy" so I can eat "more" of them.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

makes about 2 dozen cookies, fewer if you make them big like I do.


INGREDIENTS:


1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened

1/2 cup white sugar

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 large egg

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree

1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (combo of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves)

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips


DIRECTIONS:


1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment (or silpat liners, the greatest things on earth).


2. Using a mixer, beat the butter until smooth. Beat in the white and brown sugars, a little at a time, until mixture is light and fluffy.


3. Beat in the egg, followed by vanilla and pumpkin puree.


4. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. Slowly beat the dry mixture into the batter in thirds. Stir in chocolate chips.


5. Scoop cookie dough by heaping tablespoons (or ice cream scoops!) onto prepared cookie sheets and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until cookies are browned around the edges. Remove cookies from the oven and let them rest for 2 minutes. Transfer to wire racks for cooling.


6. Take a deep whiff and EAT them.

There won't be any posts for a few days, until we get back to LA. Happy holidays, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment