Thursday, June 18, 2009

Chicken Saltimbocca


If you're sick of making chicken for dinner, you could use a different variation like this one. This is no ordinary chicken dish. Fresh sage hidden under delicate prosciutto, topped with melted fresh mozzarella, and christened with a buttery wine sauce? I think I've proven my point.

This was delicious, and I hope I remember it the next time we have company. Easy, beautiful, elegant, and full of flavor - a magical combination, don't you think? And it gave me an excuse to use my favorite fresh herb, sage. It's just a vehicle for all kinds of goodness.

We had ours with roasted asparagus spears, but just about any green vegetable would work here. You might want to round it all out with some crusty bread.

Chicken Saltimbocca
adapted from Williams-Sonoma: Chicken
serves 2

INGREDIENTS:

2 chicken breast cutlets, lightly pounded to an even thickness
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
2 large slices prosciutto, cut in half
2 oz. fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
1/2 cup dry white wine

DIRECTIONS:

1. Season chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper. In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, melt 1/2 tablespoon butter into the EVOO until very hot. Add the chicken breasts and cook until undersides are golden brown, about 5 minutes. Turn them over and cook on the other side until nearly done, about 4 more minutes.

2. Reduce heat to low. Sprinkle the sage onto the chicken breasts, and then top each cutlet with a double layer of prosciutto pieces (i.e. the two halves on top of each other). Top with mozzarella. Cover the pan tightly and cook for about 2 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Remove chicken from the pan and put on a dish tented with foil.

3. Raise heat to high. When pan starts to sizzle, add the wine. Cook, stirring to scrape up the browned bits, until wine has reduced by half or more, about 3 minutes. Whisk in the remaining butter. Serve the chicken topped with the sauce.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. "I think I've proven my point."

    Indeed.

    This looks and sounds so good. I have been toying with the idea of flaying/pounding out some breasts and making saltimbocca roll-ups out of it for a while now. I knew there was a reason I was thinking about it...

    ReplyDelete