Wednesday, June 10, 2009

World Famous Guacamole


The point of this blog is supposed to be for me to share my adventures in trying new recipes that I've never made before. I've cheated a few times, but never quite as badly as I am cheating this evening. I just couldn't help but share. Tonight I present, my friends, my world famous guacamole.

I won't claim that it is unlike any other guacamole recipe. There isn't really a secret ingredient, per se. There is nothing revolutionary about it. But there is something magical about it. I don't always make it the same way, but somehow it always comes out deserving of praise.

For one thing, I am a bit of a snob when it comes to the ingredients in guacamole. I don't believe in buying pre-pureed avocado in a plastic pouch. I don't believe in spice packets. I don't believe in stirring in jar salsa. All of these things might be tasty, but to me the goal of guacamole is something incredibly fresh. So while my recipe may not be literally world-famous, I think if you make it and taste it, you might agree that it ought to be. Just maybe.

A side note: I don't really like raw onion in my guacamole, but it does add an extra zing, so if you're a fan, by all means, add about 1/2 a diced onion.

World Famous Guacamole
makes about 2 cups

INGREDIENTS:

2 ripe medium-sized avocados
juice of 1 lime
salt and pepper to taste
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 medium tomato, finely chopped
chili powder to taste

DIRECTIONS:

1. Scoop flesh out of avocados into a bowl, and mash with a fork. Do not mash it until completely smooth, you want a few lumps. Stir in lime juice, salt, and pepper.

2. Add jalapeno, cilantro, and tomato, and stir to incorporate. Sprinkle with chili powder and just barely stir it in. Serve cold with chips, bread, or whatever floats your boat.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment