Thursday, December 24, 2009

Roasted Kale


I've said it before and I'll say it again - almost any vegetable is made tastier by roasting.  I could get all Alton Brown on you and explain caramelization, if I really understood the science of it myself.  But what I do know is that veggies get browned and yummy in the oven, and therefore I want to try roasting as many of them as I can get my hands on.

Today I tried it with kale.  (And radicchio, as you can see above, but the radicchio did not fare so well, so please disregard it - consider it a mere addition for Christmas colors.)  The kale was crunchy and yet chewy - sweet and yet savory - delicious and yet...just delicious. 

This is a side dish that will go with just about any main course.  Try it out and see for yourself.

Roasted Kale
serves 2

INGREDIENTS:

1 bunch of kale, tough stems removed, leaves coarsely chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper

DIRECTIONS:

1.  Preheat oven to 375. 

2.  Spread out kale on a baking sheet.  Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.  Toss everything together.

3.  Bake for about 10 minutes, tossing everything around about halfway through, until kale is starting to brown at the edges and get crispy.  Serve.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. We must have been doing the same thing at the same time - great minds think alike!Yummy.

    ReplyDelete