Monday, December 21, 2009

Toasted Ravioli with Red Pepper Sauce


I'll admit I was a little skeptical about how this recipe would turn out.  Even right up to the point of plating it, I was not so sure.  My husband called and asked what I was making, and I said I'd have to get back to him.

Well, my doubts were unfounded.  This is a slightly messy, extremely delicious meal.  I'm glad I stuck it through to the end to see how it would end up, instead of taking it in a completely other direction.  These are fresh ravioli, coated with seasoned bread crumbs and pan-fried in olive oil.  Not exciting enough already?  Then how about adding a gorgeous roasted red pepper dipping sauce?

We had ours over a bed of arugula, but these could easily be finger food, dunked into the sauce instead of slathered in it.  Decide for yourself.  The bottom line is that this is an easy meal that comes together quickly and has a fantastic reward waiting for you at the end.

Toasted Ravioli with Red Pepper Sauce
adapted from Rachael Ray's Book of 10
serves 2

INGREDIENTS:

2 eggs
a splash of milk
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
a handful of finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
12 large fresh ravioli (I used 4-cheese; spinach would work)
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
a pinch of red pepper flakes
3 roasted red peppers, drained
1 8-ounce can of tomato sauce

DIRECTIONS:

1.  Beat eggs and the splash of milk in a shallow bowl.  Season with salt and pepper.  Combine bread crumbs with cheese and parsley in a second dish.  Dip the ravioli into the eggs, then coat with bread crumbs (you may find they don't stick too well - just do your best to make sure some kind of coating happens).

2.  Heat 3 tablespoons of oil over medium heat in a large skillet, and toast the ravioli until deep golden, about 4 minutes per side.

3.  In a small saucepan, heat remaining 2 tablespoons of oil with the garlic and red pepper flakes over medium-low heat.  Grind the roasted red peppers in a food processor and add them to the pot after cooking the garlic for a couple of minutes (be careful not to burn it).  Stir in the tomato sauce and season with salt and pepper.  Heat through.

4.  Serve toasted ravioli with the dipping sauce, either on the side or on top.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this sounds REALLY delicious to me. What a fun vegetarian meal! I'm totally going to try it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete