Friday, February 26, 2010

Open Face Chicken Parmesan Sandwich

I try not to post too many recipes of the semi-homemade variety, but this one is just too good to keep to myself.  It's so ridiculously easy, half the work is already done before you even start.  Just buy yourself some good quality items so it doesn't taste like you didn't make it. 

Chicken parmesan is a delicious yet decadent proposition, so I had to try Ellie's healthy version and see what it was like.  To be honest, I don't know that the die-hard chicken parm fans (like my husband) will be fooled, but it covers the biggest criteria in my opinion - the cheese and the marinara sauce.  The spinach is a nice touch to round out the meal.  Bottom line is, it will work in a pinch, and it's tasty.

Open Face Chicken Parmesan Sandwich
adapted from Ellie Krieger's So Easy
serves 2

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 whole grain Italian loaf or baguette
1 cup jarred marinara sauce
2 cooked chicken cutlets (I poached mine - grilled would be great)
2 cups baby spinach leaves
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese

DIRECTIONS:

1.  Preheat broiler and place foil on the broiler tray.

2.  Slice the bread in half lengthwise to make two pieces.  Scoop out the bread to remove the soft inner portion and save for another use (like breadcrumbs).  Place the bread scooped side up on the broiler tray.

3.  Spoon 1/4 cup of sauce into each piece of bread.  Lay a piece of chicken on top and cover with 1 cup of spinach leaves.  Pour another 1/4 cup of sauce over the spinach, then sprinkle each sandwich with 1/4 cup mozzarella and 1 tablespoon parmesan.

4.  Broil until spinach is wilted and cheese is bubbly and browned, 4 to 5 minutes.  Serve hot.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. You can post as many "semi-homemade" recipes as you like if they look as good as this one! Keep them coming. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This picture looks delectable! It makes me want one now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw this post, I immediately made room for these sandwiches on my menu this week. I can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete